Grid_2929xlarge

Question by Adam M.

by: (10 pts)
I am considering moving from the Gaggia Glassic MDF grinder combo to this Platinum Vogue for the convenience and quicker brew time (we have twins arriving in December, and I know I'll need the coffee but don't anticipate having as much time!) I'm not quite clear what the difference is between the OptiDose setting and the E-Plus setting. OptiDose is described as effecting "intensity" and E-Plus determines "aroma". Could someone explain the difference? How do they relate to each other, and how would I adjust them to brew, say, a strong cafe crema or strong double espresso shot? Thanks!
Answered by techkathy
Fd1d660302c7ae9ecd77d4e05d780e42 OptiDose is basically the amount of coffee (in grams) going into each shot. The E-plus system is a flow restrictor that imitates a firmer tamp. It controls the rate at which water passes through the coffee. 11-01-13 04:05PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Adam
09fb277529d40c526fb28292e19f1b1c Thanks for the reply Kathy. But....what does that MEAN to a novice like me? :) How do the two settings compliment each other, or work together? Or don't they? Maybe I just need a refresher on the relationship between amount of coffee and flow rate. I like strong espresso....so would I set OptiDose to max (most coffee) and E-Plus to min (slower flow)? 11-01-13 04:05PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by ShaneAncefsky-Sales
Profile_shanecommunitypic

Hello Adam,  If you would like strong espresso, you are correct with the OptiDose to max and the E-Plus to min.  If you were to make a cafe crema, I would suggest setting the E-Plus to max flow.  You can set the Optidose to the strength that gives you the taste you are looking for.  Having the E-Plus set at max will draw out how long the coffee takes to give up its goodness.  Resulting in less bitter notes.

11-14-13 09:41AM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question