I'm in the proces of replacing my Brevile 830 with the 840"Infuser". (the 830 has ben having isues and...

I'm in the process of replacing my Breville 830 with the 840"Infuser". (the 830 has been having issues and Breville is replacing it) Can you recommend a grinder under $500 that will grind oily beans (Peets or SBUX Espresso Roast) fine enough to pull a great shot of espresso without getting clogged. I tried the Breville Smart Grinder a while ago and had no luck. Also, I'm not married to the Breville machine. If you can recommend and different machine and grinder combo under $1000, I'm all ears!
Profile_mark_jackson_profile_pic
I would say the Rancilio Rocky, The Baratza Preciso or the Vario in the price range you are looking at. Any really dark oily bean will mean more frequent cleaning. I would suggest using this product to help keep your grinder burrs working properly - http://www.wholelattelove.com/Urnex/grindz_box.cfm
Posted by: mjackson on 11-01-13 04:15PM
Was this answer helpful?
Profile_chalice_copy
I have had the Gaggia MDF for several years, and yes, I go through periods when I like dark, oily beans. The MDF will grind quite well, as fine as you'd like. Occasionally you will have to remove the reservoir cover and tap the beans a little to ensure they are falling into the grinder shoot. I've never had the doser clog up and though I've heard of repairs needed on the doser, I believe careful handling is all that is required since my has had heavy use and is still going strong. On sale right now for $229.00 and you can spend the savings on a higher level machine. Just saying. :)
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question