Grid_1039xlarge

Question by Thomas R.

by: (10 pts)
Do you recommend backflushing for the Classic? If so, what filter basket to use for this?
Answered by techkathy
Fd1d660302c7ae9ecd77d4e05d780e42 Thomas - We do not recommend backflushing the Gaggia Classic. The small solenoid can be damaged. Regular descaling of the unit will keep the solenoid valve clean. 11-01-13 04:17PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Thomas
2bed33ba5647764cec7ed52802a35ef5 Kathy -- Thanks for your quick answer. All the veterans on user groups for the Classic seem convinced that backflushing (frequently with water and occasionally with detergent) is necessary for good maintenance and to prevent bad performance. So it's interesting -- and for a new user, very confusing -- that there is such a discrepancy between experienced users and WLL. I wonder why. 11-01-13 04:17PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by DanielCulver
Profile_chalice_copy Thomas, my wife has this machine and I find that a simple flush with the Durgol Swiss Espresso Descaler works very well. What some people are seeing as a need for frequent back flushing is that the shower screen is getting dirty. On this machine, when you are finished brewing and steaming, you should just run the brew switch, without a portafilter in place, until it stops steaming and is just flushing water. This reduces the need to clean the screen. When the screen needs cleaning a short screwdriver with a #2 tip will easily remove the screen. Clean with a medium or soft brush and reinstall. Takes less than 5 minutes. 11-01-13 04:17PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question