Grid_463xlarge

Question by James K.

by: (15 pts)
Hello, I am using the Gaggia Portafilter w/Chrome Double-Spout on my older Gaggia (Baby mod.77). I received the portafilter today 26Aug2013 and tried it one time with the included pressure filter basket and diffuser. The results were not acceptable as the crema was overly bubbly with much larger bubbles and a bit burnt as well. After replacing the pressure filter basket and diffuser with my old double/two-cup basket it works great! I am wondering why include the more expensive filter basket with the portafilter. It is VERY restrictive and certainly not needed to produce outstanding crema for even a 10-14bar espresso machine as old as mine. I could have experimented with the grind and tamp pressure and I'm not knocking the portafilter but I'll be glad to donate the pressure basket and diffuser to anyone with a need. Best regards, JK
Answered by Stephen
0d987e9950e6af388ab6f05baf7e019e Thank you for trying the pressure filter basket and diffuser. You confirmed my suspicion. I never tried mine as I figured it was a gimmick. 11-01-13 04:20PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by DanielCulver
B29d52da7746db6da27c84cf1c74bdf9 Not knowing all the circumstances of your machine, switching to the pressure filter if your shower screen is a little plugged will give these same poor results. Just a thought on something to check first. In my experience using Gaggia pressure filters on 3 different machine, they give very fine results; I would check all other variables and try quite a few espressos before moving on. :) 11-01-13 04:20PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by James
1dc3ed7f0f4609d02e05854ce11714e9 Hello, Screen is clean per usual routine maintenance; Adequate tamp pressure and proper grind works great without restrictive inserts to create crema/acceptable espresso which can be required on some machines with inadequate pump pressure. Didn't need a pressure diffuser but did need proper sized portafilter.....offer still stands.....free pressure filter basket w/diffuser (used once) to anyone needing it. Postage required. The portafilter itself is great. 11-01-13 04:20PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question