Grid_12847xlarge

Question by Tom T.

by: (10 pts)
Just received this machine along with the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso grinder from you guys today. I just love the look & feel of the Breville, and so far, so good with it's use, as well as with the Baratza. One question - do you have a recommendation for the grinder setting on the Baratza for the Breville? The Baratza's manual said to start with 8 for espresso - but, based on what I have read about the Breville doing best with a finer grind, I am using 6-F as my setting right now. Set there, I got a 30 second extraction for 2 approximate 2.5 oz. shots at 3 bar using freshly ground Lavazza Super Crema beans. Any recommendations / advice from y'all there at WLL or from other owners of this machine & grinder would be most appreciated. Thank you!
Answered by Tom
36eb455d6e9cd35189feec10b41391bc Any recommendations and / or advice would still be appreciated, but I think I have it nailed down now. Using my Lavazza beans, I keep experimenting my fineness of grind and tamping pressure until I think I have reached an optimum. I worked the grind on the Baratza all the way down to 2-B, and got to 30 - 35 second extractions at 9 bar. Just now, at that grinder setting, I ground just enough of the Johnson Brothers Twisted Espresso Blend that came with the Breville to fill the 2 cup, single wall filter basket, tamped using the Brevile tamper, and pulled two beautiful shots of espresso at 9.5 bar that resulted in the best-tasting, most balanced latte I have ever had in my life! Last night, I ordered the Espro Calibrated Convex Espresso Tamper from y'all so I can really dial-in a consistent, perfect-every-time extraction. I think I am really going to enjoy my Breville Dual-Boiler! 11-01-13 04:21PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question