I have ben using my gagia clasic for a while and I'd like to clean it. What product should I use and how should I use...

by: (10 pts)
I have been using my gaggia classic for a while and I'd like to clean it. What product should I use and how should I use it? Thanks.
Answered by mjackson
Profile_mark_jackson_profile_pic The shower screen is located right above where the portafilter attaches to the brew group. It is used to evenly disperse water over the coffee grounds when you brew. As a daily maintenance routine, you should remove the portafilter after brewing and then press the brew button for a few seconds to let the water clean off any grounds that may be stuck to the screen. More thorough cleaning should be done about once every other week to keep the machine working at its best. To clean the shower screen thoroughly, follow these instructions: 1. Use a short Phillips-head screwdriver to remove the screw in the center of the shower screen. The shower screen should fall out into your hand. 2. Soak the screen and screw in descaler and use an old toothbrush or group brush to clean them. DO NOT push a pin through the holes in the screen. It can cause future clogs because it will enlarge the small holes. 3. Rinse the shower screen and screw thoroughly. 4. Replace the shower screen and screw. Gaggia Shower Screen 11-01-13 04:30PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by mjackson
Profile_mark_jackson_profile_pic Stefano,, Here are some detailed answers from our website- First, descaling and decalcifying are the same thing. When you descale your machine, you are removing the calcium and mineral build-up in the boiler, brew group, frothing wand, and other related parts. You should descale your machine every 2-3 months. If you use reverse osmosis water or distilled water, you should descale about every 5-6 months. 8) Set up your machine so that hot water -NOT steam- will be emitted from the steam wand when the steam valve is opened. 9) To start the decalcifying process, press the "brew" button (some models must have the brew and steam buttons pressed in order for water to exit the wand only). 10) While pressing the "brew" button, open the steam valve. 11) Allow about 8 oz of water to be dispensed from the machine. 12) Turn off the brew button. 13) Close the steam valve. 14) Allow the machine to sit for the amount of time specified on the cleaner packaging. If no time is specified, 5-6 minutes is usually enough. 15) Repeat steps 9 through 14 until all of the decalcifying solution has drained into the containers. 16) Remove the containers and discard the collected liquid. 17) Rinse the water reservoir thoroughly and then fill it with your usual water for brewing. 18) Place the water reservoir back in its normal position. 19) Rinse out the decalcifying solution by repeating steps 6 through 10 until the water reservoir is empty again. You can repeat the rinsing cycle if you wish. Your machine should now be ready to brew again. 11-01-13 04:30PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by mjackson
Profile_mark_jackson_profile_pic The first thing you will need is a descaling agent. Urnex Cleancaf or Durgol are the best for almost all espresso machines and coffee makers. Do NOT just use any product that claims to remove calcium and lime. Many products you can purchase at the local store can be harsh enough to ruin your boiler and cause leaks. Some are even poisonous. CLR or Dip it! are general descalers and are made more for coffee carafes. Lemon juice or vinegar can be absorbed into some of the components of the machine causing a very sour taste. Make sure the cleaner that you select is specifically for espresso machines and/or coffee machines. To descale your machine, follow these steps: 1) Remove the machine’s water reservoir. 2) Empty all liquid from the reservoir. 3) Mix the cleaner/descaler according to the manufacturer’s directions. 4) Return the water reservoir to the machine. 5) Turn the machine on. 6) Place a large container underneath the steam wand to collect the decalcifying solution. 7) Place another small container underneath the brew spout to collect more of the decalcifying solution. 11-01-13 04:30PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question