New Baby arived last night, ben playing with it ever since. I've frothed milk gloriously, and I've practiced my...

by: (5 pts)
New Baby arrived last night, been playing with it ever since. I've frothed milk gloriously, and I've practiced my tamping pressure with scale and all. I have espresso leaking from the handle side of my portafilter. I've considered the manuals troubleshooting guide and I suppose it's possible I'm inserting the filter holder incorrectly, but it's lined up with the arrow. I hope the gasket/brewhead isn't dirty/worn 4 shots into it. and the rim of the filter holder is clean. Huge note, it only does this with the pressurized baskets. I thought about it and ran the commercial without a problem. Any suggestions?
Answered by techkathy
Fd1d660302c7ae9ecd77d4e05d780e42 Make sure that the portafilter is on the machine snugly. There is also the possibility you are using just a little too much coffee or tamping unevenly. 11-01-13 04:57PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by AlabamaBob
21eaccd86f2c9725286be1b51476c2b8 I've adjusted my tamping pressure to closer to 30lbs and closer to 15lbs and still receive the same. I've also tried further the commercial basket, and it does not leak. My shot however does seem to be coming way too fast. I've tamped closer to 30 for it as well, and I'm filling the shot far too quickly (15 seconds or less for a 3 oz shot ). I'm using Lavazza Creme e Gusto pre-ground. 11-01-13 04:57PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Hal
49e4cdac5d101076fb9f09d77a815376

It sounds like the same problem I had when I got my machine. The instructions for basket use are confusing. I put the pressurized basket in the portafilter  (I didn't realize it was pressurized) without the crema pin and decorated my kitchen in coffee spray. It took several shots for me to realize what I had done. I put the pin in in the next shot, no spray. Check the bottom of the baskets, if the bottom of the basket is not covered with holes but has only one hole in the center it is pressurized. Pressurized baskets DO NOT need tamping just a generalized smoothing to kinda level the coffee. If the coffee is tamped and  the pressurized basket is used the machine will sound like it is overloaded, which it is, and instead of a 20 -30 second shot it may not even extract a shot at all.

06-14-14 01:51PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question