Question about tamping and presurized portafilter. Is it corect that tamping presure isn't important with this...

by: (20 pts)
Question about tamping and pressurized portafilter. Is it correct that tamping pressure isn't important with this machine. That is the impression I've gotten from what I have read. If that is so is there any advantage at all to tamping either harder or softer. Also does a 53 mm tamper work, the one that comes with this machine is awfully flimsy even if you don't have to tamp very hard. I measured the plastic tamper and it is 50 mm, 53 mm looks very borderline as to whether it will fit or not. Also, any idea how big the included scoop is? I started using 2 scoops for a double shot, and that seems to work ok, but I am curious exactly how much that is.
Answered by A
C1a899e57fdc0bdcf558abdc77132f5b Robert, With the Pressurized portafilter, the pressure of tamping is not important. The biggest part about that is just to get the surface flat and down far enough to clear the shower screen on the machine. The tamper that comes with the machine does this perfectly fine. 53mm is the correct size tamper for the machine, however. 11-01-13 05:01PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Angelo
7114898408697796484a839869a96f68 Robert, I do not mean to disagree with Chris but I noticed a difference between tamping lightly and harder. If I press 'harder', I get a stronger coffee and when I remove the portafilter, the coffee residue is more compact and not too 'watery'. Take care, AP 11-01-13 05:01PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by LAURIE
Cc01fdc7210dfcba5e1c5552130f811d I bought a 53mm Rattleware tamper for this machine after seeing the post above, and it is too big. Does not fit into the portafilter. Not a big deal, but just wanted to post here as an FYI in case anyone else is doing the same search. Maybe it is different for different brands? Luckily right after I ordered it, I found the tamper that came with the machine. (My one-year-old had run off with it and hidden it in the laundry room.) Robert is right; that one works just fine! 11-01-13 05:01PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question