Grid_14263xlarge

Question by Scott P.

by: (20 pts)
I'm looking at getting a semi automatic machine. I'm trying to decide on this BES840XL or the BES860XL Barista Express. Basicly because they are in my price point and have several cool features. I have read that the 840 has a thurmocoil instead of a Thermoblock. Is this true for the whole product line? Also, do you think that the Breville Smart grinder paired with the 840 would work out better than the 860 with the built in grinder? I have read people have had issues with the grinder in the 860. I also like the hot water feature of the 840...
Answered by A
C1a899e57fdc0bdcf558abdc77132f5b Scott, The "Thermocoil" is just a specific name for a kind of Thermoblock boiler. It's a different design with the same outcome as the 860. Both machines work well, and the built in grinder in the 860 is a cool feature. If you are planning on doing more than Espresso however, the SmartGrinder would be a good idea paired with the 840. 11-01-13 05:18PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Hal
49e4cdac5d101076fb9f09d77a815376

I don't  have any experience with the breville grinder so I can't say whether it is a good match with the 940.

My personal preference is for a separate grinder because there are usally compromises that have to be made when it included in the machine. The operationn of both the basic machine and grinder would not function at their best level by the design compromises made. This is not limited to grinders but anytime a product is incorporated in a package there is the possibilty that both items are down graded.

However, I have a Baratza Preciso grinder that I have paired with a Gaggia New Baby machine now and will upgrade the machine to the 840 within a month or two without paying for a new grinder/

06-20-14 03:51PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Hal
49e4cdac5d101076fb9f09d77a815376

I don't  have any experience with the breville grinder so I can't say whether it is a good match with the 840.

My personal preference is for a separate grinder because there are usally compromises that have to be made when it is included in the machine. The operationn of both the basic machine and grinder would not function at their best level by the design compromises made. This is not limited to grinders but anytime a product is incorporated in a package there is the possibilty that both items are down graded. Also, in my experience any repairs to any sections of a package is usally more expensive due to having to deal with other sections as well.

However, I have a Baratza Preciso grinder that I have paired with a Gaggia New Baby machine now and will upgrade the machine to the 840 within a month or two without paying for a new grinder/

06-20-14 03:55PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question