by: (15 pts)
I have a 10-year old Rocky (doserless). It has been great once I learned how to dial in for variation in beans, taste, etc. Unfortunately, it suddenly stopped working completely, suggesting some sort of electrical fault. I have removed the bottom of the unit and can identify the main electrical parts. Trying to figure out what tests I can do to identify the faulty component. I have a multi-tester and a bit of knowledge but want to make sure I am barking up the right trees. Really miss my morning espresso!
Answered by Sanfam
0d219748120cdc26ee5d5603498f2d11 As far as the Rocky is concerned, it's basically just a large, AC-Driven motor with the output shaft connected to the lower burr plate. Unfortunately, I am not familiar enough with the motor's design to give you a solid idea of where to begin, but I would suggest researching AC Motor repair online. If the unit simply failed outright, it could indicate a fault with either the rectifier, the windings on the stator, or the rotor/shaft. As these motors can only be purchased as a single unit--Replacement of the entire motor/burr assembly is typically the best option. 11-01-13 05:22PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by DrSteel
A955cd1c10098543a32f957234e4b35e Thanks for the input. I agree that it may be a motor failure. However, the drawings show a starter capacitor plus other components in addition to the motor. If the motor has failed, replacement cost suggests buying a whole new unit. If it is a simpler part (resistor, capacitor, switch) maybe it will be a much cheaper repair. Just not quite sure on how to determine the faulty component. Not sure how electrical motors fail, but there was no differences in sounds or performance before it just stopped working. 11-01-13 05:22PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question