by: (0 pts)

When replacing the gasket, does it matter which way the gasket goes in? I see one side is completely flat while the other has a slightly curved edge. I put the flat side in first (up) against the machine since the one I was removing was completely flat on that side too. Of course, the other side (where the porta filter engaged) was too worn to tell if it was once curved.

Answered by Sanfam
0d219748120cdc26ee5d5603498f2d11

While there may be a slight curve, the Gaggia NG01 group gaskets are typically flat on both the top and bottom faces.  For the sake of consistency, I'd suggest placing the flat face up to allow for a firm seal (no flexing or compression to worry about) when tightening the filter.

12-09-13 04:06PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by UphillStill
B79643e517a7c94995ea4a7de69a32d5

That's the way I placed it originally but when running the pump without a porta filter in place, water leaked around the diffuser/shower screen so I reversed it and now water only emerges from the shower screen. I wonder if it's the correct gasket? I've seen others ask the same question and even found another person asking the same question on the WLL forum. Plus, not only is the handle not difficult to engage, it's very easy with almost no effort at all required to get the handle to 6 o'clock (lined up with the indicator) and very little required to go all the way to the right. Mine never behaved that way even when new. Everything seals up fine and shots pull better than before so I suppose it's fine. In the replacement video, I believe I can see that both the gasket being replaced and the replacment have the slight bevel and it appears as if she is installing bevel up. Any input appreciated.

12-09-13 04:32PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Sanfam
0d219748120cdc26ee5d5603498f2d11

It really sounds like you might have received a bunk gasket.  I'd suggest contacting Technical Support with your order number to (a) make sure the correct gasket was selected for certain, and (b) alternative options if it was.

12-18-13 07:10PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by UphillStill
B79643e517a7c94995ea4a7de69a32d5

Thanks. I ordered another gasket and it is clearly different than the last one so I think you're right about it now being the correct gasket or a defective piece. The person I talked to only seemed to care that the most recent gasket was correct rather than getting a replacement for one I bought months ago but only installed last week. I have a history of purchases with WLL including multiple machines and supplies so the lack of interest is disappointing to say the least. I think the bad gasket was actually purchased by a friend I referred to WLL for a Gaggia purchase as we usually combine orders for small parts to save shipping so maybe she didn't believe I really bought it from WLL but my history should be worth something. Actually I called support to let them know the site had a problem with its filtering system so the poor support makes me wonder why I bothered. 

Anyway, with that beveled filter, the curved side has to go up against the brew group or it leaks water around the diffuser. Other than letting the porta filter handle rotate all the way to the right it seems to work but I expect it will fail sooner due to being thinner but I'll just wait and see. 

Thanks for your response. 

12-18-13 07:24PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question