by: (25 pts)

Hi, for some strange reason, It seems that my Gaggia Classic suddendly lost pressure... I poured a shot early morning and everything went right. I tried to pour another shot a couple of hours ago and suddendly pressure was much lower. Grinding in the second shot was actually a little coarser (I use Illy whole beans), with the same tamping. Any suggestion? The machine has 1 month...

Thanks!

Answered by DanielCulver
B29d52da7746db6da27c84cf1c74bdf9

First impression, without more information, is that your grind was more than a little coarser; perhaps much courser. Go back to original grind for comparision. This machine is usually VERY reliable so first place to look for solutions is changes in your bahavior (no criticism intended). If the machine were losing pressure, it would most likely happen over a longer period, signalling a need for descaling. Sudden complete lose of pressure would be from a pump, valve, or fitting often with a lot of water leaking out (except for pump failure).

01-26-14 03:03PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by Antonino Tumeo
E16236793f17f7bba9b8b6328513eafb

Thanks for the suggestions, looks like you figured it out correctly. It looks like that I somehow did something wrong (not sure what, the shot where I experienced low pressure was, paradoxically, with the "safe settings", where I returned after the early morning shot with finer grinding - not much, just 1 notch down with the MDF though - was not satisfying), gave it a fast cleaning and pressure for the after lunch shot appeared to be much better (so much that I got it underextracted, since I was more cautios with quantity and tamper this time around). I'll keep looking and be more careful for the next few shots.

01-26-14 04:19PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by DanielCulver
B29d52da7746db6da27c84cf1c74bdf9

Antonino, that is the glory of making your own espresso. Just when you have it handled, you can totally blow it, with just one small change. This may sound a bit arrogant but I have found a solution that works for me. I own several machines, all Gaggia. Two Achille manuals and a Classic. I use one central grinder and split my use of pressure baskets and open baskets. By forcing myself to balance out the needs of several machines, and using different baskets, I have gotten very adept at getting just the shots I want and diagnosing any little problems that come up. The two really big changes that I made to improving my espresso was to add an Easy Water (no commercial interest, I just like it) to my plumbing (it takes about 6months to fully help) and to only buy really good beans, which mostly means only from WLL. On two occasions I had a lot of fun calling in to Dan Moraldo and asking him to pick out $50 or so of beans for me. But seriously, good beans are worth the money, expensive beans aren't necessarily good beans, so call in to the staff and ask. They are very good at matching your machine to the best beans.

01-29-14 09:22AM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question