by: (0 pts)

When I use the steam wand, I find myself frothing milk for a very long time (over 5 minutes) before I see any foam developing or even get the milk warm enough. I noticed that initially when I open the knob, water comes out (normal) and then it becomes strong steam but after keeping it open for a little while (5 seconds or so) I don't see any strong steam coming out anymore.

When I submerge the tip of the steam wand into milk, I initially hear the frothing sound, then it gets really low and it seems to be doing mostly steaming which takes a long time. How do I know if my new machine has a problem with the steam wand?

I have seen numerous videos on youtube with this machine and it seems like the steam should be stronger and longer lasting than what I'm getting. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Answered by DanielCulver
B29d52da7746db6da27c84cf1c74bdf9

Mauricio, I am not familiar with the New Baby specifically, but own 3 Gaggias. First thing to remember when using this machine, and most other machines is to purge the steam wand first until the water is flushed and only steam comes out. Then close the valve for a moment before continuing your steaming. As for how long it's taking, five minutes is certainly wrong. First I would ask about the milk temperature. Is the milk getting hot but not producing foam? That would indicate a problem with technique. If the milk isn't getting hot then you have a problem with your machine. If it is the machine causing the problem, you first need to flush the machine (unless it is new, then proceed directly to calling tech support) and clean the wand to be sure the system itself isn't restricted by calcium buildup. If the problem persist, then it is time to call tech support.

If the milk is getting hot, and just not producing foam, you should look at technique. The easiest way to do that is watch as many of the videos on the Whole Latte Love Youtube channel, as you have time for. 

06-09-14 06:19PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by DanielCulver
B29d52da7746db6da27c84cf1c74bdf9

Mauricio, I meant to add that as far as technique is concerned, it is a common mistake to put the wand to far into the milk, and also, to over fill the milk pitcher. We've all had to put a good deal of time into learning technique, but it is worth the result. Don't watch the barristas at Starbucks too closing unless you want to learn bad habits along with the good. 

06-09-14 06:26PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question