Vario-coffee everywhere but in portafiler.

by: (1 pts)

Just received my new Vario yesterday.  I love just about everything-except the fact that no matter where or how I hold the portafilter, the grounds shot backwards against the rear edge of the filter causing them to then shoot outside the grinder along the left and right side of the grinder and all over the counter.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  I really hate to have to use the bulk container, typically used to grind a large batch, just to avoid spillage for a single shot.

Answered by Louis-Jordan
18a07f82ff1db5d2cc3fdd05d4d3adaa

Thank you for your question. This might not be completely avoidable behavior. The with which the ground coffee comes out has a lot to do with what grind settings the machine are set to; coarse grind tends to shoot out of the grinder a lot faster than a fine grind. Different beans will grind up differently as well, and depending on how the bean shatters, it can affect how it exits the grinder. I suggest contacting Baratza regarding this issue, because our Technical Support does not handle this brand. I suggest speaking with them to see if there are any particular settings you need to use, or if there are any parts on the machine you can reposition or clean in order to avoid this from happening. Baratza can be contacted at 1-877-701-2021, or support@baratza.com.

07-25-14 11:44AM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by George
20bbe9f2d9654ff1b93fae4ee1f8a2bf

Thank you.  I was grinding for a rather fine grind for expresso so the type of grind would not seem to be the issue.  I think one problem would be that the unit is designed to deliver grinds directly from the grinding chamber rather than through a small chute or other channel that would likley reduce the pressure and direct the flow at which the coffee is being delivered.  I'll try simply holding the portafilter direclty against the bottom of the grinder.  At present each time I grind I have to clean up around the grinder and on the floor as there are grounds everywhere.  This is when I miss my Rancillio Rocky.

07-25-14 04:18PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answered by George
20bbe9f2d9654ff1b93fae4ee1f8a2bf

The people at Baratza suggested I try the yogurt cup technique as an alternative. This is where you cut the bottom of the yogurt container (small container) and insert it into the portafilter as a type of funnel.  Also, they said there is a small metal funnel-type device sold by orphanexpresso. Interestingly, the video on that website that shows how it is used shows them using it on the Baratzo Vario grinder.  Also, Baratza sells a filter holder/insert made of metal that has a funnel-type top that is used in the more expensive grinders they sell. This entire unit looks very similar to the holder and insert in the Vario; however, the representative said that it is a very tight fit and if you are constantly removing and exchanging the holder with the bulk container, it will scratch the metal exterior of the grinder.

07-25-14 09:08PM
Was this answer helpful?

Answer This Question

Please Sign In to answer this question